Friday, December 5, 2008

Shoot the Hills





Shoot the hills is a annual photography contest that is held in some of the most scenic parts of Ohio. I mentioned in my last blog that I had been involved in a photography competition, well this is the competition I was referring to. Me and three of my photographer buddies started attending this event 2 years ago and now we have made a pact that we will continue doing it as long as it continues to be held.



It is a 3 day event that is held at the Hocking Hills State Park Lodge. Every year we get a cabin and spend the weekend running around the 4 counties that border the competition shooting anything that we think will win us a ribbon.

To be continued.....

Sorry for the disruption, I had to check some details so that I could finish this post without making a mistake. The competition has 6 categories (Landscape, Flora, Wildlife, Human Interest in Nature, Abstract in Nature and Photographers Choice). You can enter up to 6 images, no category can have more than 2 entries and photographers choice can only have 1 entry. It is a very fun time and I look forward to it each year with the same anticipation that my kids have for Christmas. You can click on the title of today's blog to see the official Shoot the Hills website. The website has a lot of information on it and it isn't laid out very well so take your time looking around if you can't find the information you are looking for keep looking, if all else fails just send me any questions you have and I will try to answer them for you.



It isn't a serious photographers competition as many of the entrants are beginners who use point and shoot cameras and less than serious amateur's. Everyone that I have talked with who participates cannot figure out the judging system as often very good images lose to not so good images. This is frustrating but it gives the amateur's as much a chance as the serious or pro photographer. This may be why there are not many pros who participate. It doesn't bother the Fantastic Four though, we like to complain about it but we still can't wait to go next year.



We are called the Fantastic Four, o.k. we call ourselves the Fantastic Four. After our first competition when we were getting ready to leave I decided to get a shot of the 4 of us in front of our cabin. When I got home and was looking at the images that I had taken I came across the group shot and the name the Fantastic Four popped into my head. I have been referring to us as the Fantastic Four ever since. I just had another thought pop into my head, before we go next year I think we need to have t shirts made up with Fantastic Four on them. Well back to the post, we go more for the camaraderie than for the competition.



This is probably one of if not the only weekend that any us of spend our time shooting just to be shooting. I mean shooting for fun, for ourselves, just to enjoy the art of the medium. I am going to post some of the images from shoot the hills that I took. I don't have access to any of the other guys images or I would share theirs as well. I will probably only share my images from the 1st year as last year my work was for the most part CRAP (sorry for the 4 letter word but that is what it was). Let me see what I can find to upload.



I always try to write the post first and then find images but I don't like all of the images at the front of the article or at the end. So I try to spread them out through the post at critical points if I can, so when you get to this part and wonder why I am talking about finding images to add to the post it's because I haven't uploaded pictures yet.





















Let me know if you think I added to many photos to this one blog. I hope you enjoyed them.

Photoman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photography Tips

Earthbound Light - Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond by Bob Johnson

My favorite photographers in no special order.

  • Walker Evans
  • Todd Kuhns
  • Earl Pitman
  • Elliott Erwitt
  • Evelyn Cameron
  • Ansel Adams

My Favorite Authors in no specific order

  • Terry Goodkind
  • Corrie tenBoom
  • Christopher Paolini
  • Marcus Mullins
  • Frank Peretti
  • J.R.R. Tolkein
  • C.S. Lewis

My favorite books in no specific order

  • The Prayer of Jabez
  • Soda Pop
  • Peter's Wagon
  • Look, Theres a mouse in our house
  • Pippa Mouses House
  • The Hiding Place
  • The Inheretance Series (Eragon, Eldest, ?)
  • the Bible
  • Photographing Montana
  • The Chronicles of Narnia series
  • The Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • The Hobbit

Gary's Book Wish List

  • Silence and Solitude by Tom Murphy

What color of socks are more comfortable?

Welcome to Gary's Photo Blog

This is just a little hobby I have started. It is my goal to make a new post each day. Please feel free to sign up as a follower of this blog just below this message. Please check back often to see what I have added.

Thanks for visiting,

Gary - A.K.A. - Photoman

Friends of this blog

Abstract Art

Abstract Art
Clam bake

Muscle Car Madness

Muscle Car Madness
Majenta Fire