Saturday, December 20, 2008

Dilapidated

I love old abandoned buildings, they are my favorite place to shoot. I know I say that about a lot of different things or places, but I really mean it about old buildings. I love to go into a building that hasn't been occupied in years and see what was left behind. It is like a history lesson in a way. I guess it could be considered rudimentary archeology, well not quite but it is the closet I'll ever come to archeology in my lifetime. This all seems so dejavu to me, I think if you look in my archives you will probably find another post where I talked about abandoned or dilapidated buildings. Yesterday was my 50th post so I can't remember exactly what I have and have not written about in the past posts. The image that I am showing you in this post is one that I have on my stock photography website. It happens to be the one image that has received the most comments of all of my stock images, so I thought I would share it with my loyal readers.



This image was taken in a building not too far from where I live, no it isn't one from the campus where I live. This building is a part of a local University not far from where I live. I noticed it many years ago and I had often wondered what they were going to do with it. I knew that I would eventually get into the building and have a look. One day a few years later I drove by the building again, I had forgotten about it. I was surprised to see that it was still sitting empty, I knew that I needed to get in and shoot it before they demolished it. I have missed many opportunities to shoot in old buildings by procrastinating and when I decided to finally do it, the buildings were gone or being renovated. For example, the town that I grew up in had an orphanage that sat on about 250 acres of land. On the edge of their property sat an old water tank, it was very cool and would have made a great photographic subject. I had wanted to photograph it for years but I never felt like there was any hurry, I mean where was it going to go? It was always there and I thought it would always be there, I was wrong. In 2004 I decided it was time for me to go and shoot the water tank, when I got there it was gone. The orphanage had been closed for a number of years and the property had been sold. The new property owners tore the water tank down to make way for a retirement village. That is just one of too many missed opportunities that I could tell you about. I have many success stories that I can share as well, but a missed opportunity like that can never be had again. Well I need to get this post finished I still have to get a message to my good friend Todd Kuhns in South Carolina. Hey Todd there's your link.

Photoman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photography Tips

Earthbound Light - Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond by Bob Johnson

My favorite photographers in no special order.

  • Walker Evans
  • Todd Kuhns
  • Earl Pitman
  • Elliott Erwitt
  • Evelyn Cameron
  • Ansel Adams

My Favorite Authors in no specific order

  • Terry Goodkind
  • Corrie tenBoom
  • Christopher Paolini
  • Marcus Mullins
  • Frank Peretti
  • J.R.R. Tolkein
  • C.S. Lewis

My favorite books in no specific order

  • The Prayer of Jabez
  • Soda Pop
  • Peter's Wagon
  • Look, Theres a mouse in our house
  • Pippa Mouses House
  • The Hiding Place
  • The Inheretance Series (Eragon, Eldest, ?)
  • the Bible
  • Photographing Montana
  • The Chronicles of Narnia series
  • The Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • The Hobbit

Gary's Book Wish List

  • Silence and Solitude by Tom Murphy

What color of socks are more comfortable?

Welcome to Gary's Photo Blog

This is just a little hobby I have started. It is my goal to make a new post each day. Please feel free to sign up as a follower of this blog just below this message. Please check back often to see what I have added.

Thanks for visiting,

Gary - A.K.A. - Photoman

Friends of this blog

Abstract Art

Abstract Art
Clam bake

Muscle Car Madness

Muscle Car Madness
Majenta Fire