Friday, December 26, 2008

Fort Rapids

Every summer my nephew comes from Florida to visit for a couple of weeks. While he is here my mom likes to do something special that the cousins (my nephew and my 4 children) can do together. This year she decided to take us all to Fort Rapids in Columbus, Ohio. Fort Rapids is an indoor water park that is attached to a hotel. You may have heard of The Great Wolf or The Great Bear Lodges, Fort Rapids is pretty much the same thing. If you have not heard of either you should check them out online. I have been to both and they are pretty much the same thing. If you pay for 1 night you get to spend 2 days in the water park, which if you ask me is plenty of time. I am sure the kids would say it isn't enough time, mine would spend a week there if I let them. Let me tell you a little bit about the water park, this first image is of my oldest and youngest going into a giant funnel.



After you climb all the way to the top of the water parks highest point you get on this double tube and go down a water slide that dumps you into this giant funnel. You then spin around the inside of the funnel until you get to the bottom of the funnel and you are spit out onto another slide that sends you into the lazy river. This 2nd image is of them as they come out of the funnel.



It is really a lot of fun. I took these next images from the top of the funnel, the first image is of the main body of the water park. In the center of the water park is this giant fort that you climb around in and play in the water.



There are slides, water guns, hoses, buckets and all kind of things to play with or on. At the very top of the fort is a giant bucket that fills up with water and every few minutes dumps itself onto the fort and everyone who is to close to the fort. The 2nd image shows you what it looks like when the water is dumped.



There is a bell that rings when it is about to dump, so that you can run (I mean walk as running is against the rules). I don't mean run away either, this is a highlight to the park, everyone hears the bell and runs to the spot where the water gets dumped. There is something fun about standing in a spot that you know is about to be drenched with water and allow yourself to get sloshed. This last image shows people being sloshed.



You have got to try it, getting sloshed (as in drenched not drunk) isn't my favorite part of the water park but I do from time to time partake of it. I enjoy the fort for other reasons, if you know what you are doing you can modify the water hoses, buckets and guns to allow you to get unsuspecting people wet. I enjoy this more than anything else. It is so much fun to hide in the fort and spray people who think they are far enough away to stay dry. If you are lucky enough to get a good hose you can even follow the person as the try to get away and keep spraying them, it is a lot of fun. I spend several hours in the fort spraying unsuspecting people, it never gets boring. I hope you enjoy the story and if you get a chance you should stay at one of these parks.


Photoman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photography Tips

Earthbound Light - Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond by Bob Johnson

My favorite photographers in no special order.

  • Walker Evans
  • Todd Kuhns
  • Earl Pitman
  • Elliott Erwitt
  • Evelyn Cameron
  • Ansel Adams

My Favorite Authors in no specific order

  • Terry Goodkind
  • Corrie tenBoom
  • Christopher Paolini
  • Marcus Mullins
  • Frank Peretti
  • J.R.R. Tolkein
  • C.S. Lewis

My favorite books in no specific order

  • The Prayer of Jabez
  • Soda Pop
  • Peter's Wagon
  • Look, Theres a mouse in our house
  • Pippa Mouses House
  • The Hiding Place
  • The Inheretance Series (Eragon, Eldest, ?)
  • the Bible
  • Photographing Montana
  • The Chronicles of Narnia series
  • The Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • The Hobbit

Gary's Book Wish List

  • Silence and Solitude by Tom Murphy

What color of socks are more comfortable?

Welcome to Gary's Photo Blog

This is just a little hobby I have started. It is my goal to make a new post each day. Please feel free to sign up as a follower of this blog just below this message. Please check back often to see what I have added.

Thanks for visiting,

Gary - A.K.A. - Photoman

Friends of this blog

Abstract Art

Abstract Art
Clam bake

Muscle Car Madness

Muscle Car Madness
Majenta Fire