Friday, December 12, 2008

Where is your focus?


I am having trouble with my left eye, I can't keep it open. I wanted to get this image posted and give my eye a rest. I will get on in a couple of hours and talk about it.
Photoman
If you noticed the title of this blog, it has nothing to do with my eye trouble, hopefully what I am about to say will be a good explanation. As a photographer, focus is important to all of my images. Whether I have them in or out of focus, whether I have my focus on a certain point in a image or the entire image is the focus. Focus determines whether a image is good or bad, if I can't relay to you the viewer where my focus is in a image it will not make sense. I sell stock photography and on more than one occasion I have submitted images to the stock agency only to have them rejected for lack of a clear focal point. In these instances I failed as a photographer to effectively tell the story of my image. The image above is a good example of a poorly focused image, it is not sharp I should have used a tripod while taking this photo but once again I neglected to bring it along with me. I didn't choose the image for this reason, I chose it because of what happened tonight. My two youngest daughters had their Christmas concert tonight and I went and watched my little angels sing. I chose this image as it represents something that we see all the time during the Christmas season. It is almost just a part of the festivities and the fact that it is actually a reminder of the birth of Christ is often forgotten. We all get so busy this time of year just trying to get through the holiday that we often lose our focus. I am as guilty as anyone. This year I had hoped would be different, Kelly and I had made some very big decisions for our future based on what we believe God is asking us to do, I am still so excited I can't wait. I talked about our big decision in a post last month titled California or Bust you can read it if you want to know more about it. I thought it would be so easy to keep my focus on God but its when we are focused on God that Satan attacks the hardest. Thursday he started attacking us and he hasn't stopped. I have been so preoccupied with trying to fight back that I took my focus off of the goal and focused on the problem. The speaker at the concert tonight spoke on Job, how when God allowed trouble into Job's life, Job took his focus off of God and focused on his problems. I realized tonight that I had lost my focus, when I should be focusing on God and what He has planned for me I was focusing on what Satan is doing to me. I need to shift my perspective and stop focusing on the problems of life and focus on God and the fact that He loves me and He knows what is best for me. If these problems that He is allowing in my life are what He thinks is best for me then I need to be thankful for them and praise Him for them. So I am asking you tonight, Where is your Focus?
Photoman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photography Tips

Earthbound Light - Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond by Bob Johnson

My favorite photographers in no special order.

  • Walker Evans
  • Todd Kuhns
  • Earl Pitman
  • Elliott Erwitt
  • Evelyn Cameron
  • Ansel Adams

My Favorite Authors in no specific order

  • Terry Goodkind
  • Corrie tenBoom
  • Christopher Paolini
  • Marcus Mullins
  • Frank Peretti
  • J.R.R. Tolkein
  • C.S. Lewis

My favorite books in no specific order

  • The Prayer of Jabez
  • Soda Pop
  • Peter's Wagon
  • Look, Theres a mouse in our house
  • Pippa Mouses House
  • The Hiding Place
  • The Inheretance Series (Eragon, Eldest, ?)
  • the Bible
  • Photographing Montana
  • The Chronicles of Narnia series
  • The Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • The Hobbit

Gary's Book Wish List

  • Silence and Solitude by Tom Murphy

What color of socks are more comfortable?

Welcome to Gary's Photo Blog

This is just a little hobby I have started. It is my goal to make a new post each day. Please feel free to sign up as a follower of this blog just below this message. Please check back often to see what I have added.

Thanks for visiting,

Gary - A.K.A. - Photoman

Friends of this blog

Abstract Art

Abstract Art
Clam bake

Muscle Car Madness

Muscle Car Madness
Majenta Fire