Monday, November 24, 2008

Photojournalism


Photojournalism, what an exciting word! This word brings to mind thoughts of adventure, travel, discovery, stories, life and many more. If I could do anything or be anything I would love to be a photojournalist. I love to use my camera to document life the things that happen around me every day. One reason I started this blog was because it is a form of photojournalism. I don't get paid for it but it gives me an outlet for the photojournalist that is lurking inside of me just waiting for an opportunity to get out and go wild. Many who know me know that I love photography and that what I want most as a photographer is to photographically document the work of missionaries around the world. No type of photography excites me more that photojournalism. I'm not sure exactly what it is that gets me so excited, maybe it is my lack of experience. I have read how hard and how physical it is and the little experience that I have had with actual photojournalism hasn't proved this to be true. I am sure that if I ever have the opportunity to be a full time photojournalist I will get a dose of reality. I almost had an opportunity, a small local weekly newspaper was looking for a full time photojournalist, of course I applied. I couldn't pass up an opportunity like that. I applied and about 2 days later I received a call and was asked to bring my portfolio to an interview. I went and was told all about the job, it sounded so interesting and fun it was perfect. Though it was a small paper, it is read nationally and therefore the amount of exposure would have been huge. The downside was the pay, at $9.00 - $10.00 per hour I couldn't support my family. I had to take myself out of the running for the job, which from the way they were talking, I think I could have had the job if I had wanted it. Oh, but I did want it, I just didn't want to go bankrupt in order to take the job. I am pretty sure that within 2 to 3 years I will be working as a missionary photojournalist. I am currently working on my application for Global Recordings Network. This is the mission Agency where I believe God is calling me to serve Him as a photojournalist. I will keep you informed as this progresses. In the meantime please enjoy some of my photojournalism photos. By the way the photojournalism slide show that runs in the upper right corner of the blog is not my work, I just liked the slide show so I added it to my blog.

Photoman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photography Tips

Earthbound Light - Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond by Bob Johnson

My favorite photographers in no special order.

  • Walker Evans
  • Todd Kuhns
  • Earl Pitman
  • Elliott Erwitt
  • Evelyn Cameron
  • Ansel Adams

My Favorite Authors in no specific order

  • Terry Goodkind
  • Corrie tenBoom
  • Christopher Paolini
  • Marcus Mullins
  • Frank Peretti
  • J.R.R. Tolkein
  • C.S. Lewis

My favorite books in no specific order

  • The Prayer of Jabez
  • Soda Pop
  • Peter's Wagon
  • Look, Theres a mouse in our house
  • Pippa Mouses House
  • The Hiding Place
  • The Inheretance Series (Eragon, Eldest, ?)
  • the Bible
  • Photographing Montana
  • The Chronicles of Narnia series
  • The Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • The Hobbit

Gary's Book Wish List

  • Silence and Solitude by Tom Murphy

What color of socks are more comfortable?

Welcome to Gary's Photo Blog

This is just a little hobby I have started. It is my goal to make a new post each day. Please feel free to sign up as a follower of this blog just below this message. Please check back often to see what I have added.

Thanks for visiting,

Gary - A.K.A. - Photoman

Friends of this blog

Abstract Art

Abstract Art
Clam bake

Muscle Car Madness

Muscle Car Madness
Majenta Fire