Tuesday, November 25, 2008

High School Seniors

I have to admit portrait work is probably not my favorite type of photography. I do however really enjoy it sometimes. I enjoy shooting weddings but the pressure you are under to perform can be very stressful at times. I am very good at handling stress so I never really get overly stressed when I shoot a wedding. If anything goes wrong or if the lighting is bad and I have to use flash it adds a new level of pressure to the job. I much prefer using natural light as my main light and just use flash for fill light. I do not like being dependent on my flash to get the shot. If your flash acts up during a wedding you can't just stop the wedding and get a new one. It is too late at that point. I had a flash die on me at a wedding and by the time I got to my backup and got it on the camera and all hooked up I had missed the ring exchange and the kiss. You can never get that moment back. So, though I enjoy weddings it is not my favorite type of portrait work. I really like shooting High School Seniors, there is literally no pressure. If you have equipment problems you can stop and get the replacement equipment and not worry about missing your shot. Worse case you need to reschedule the shoot. You don't have cranky brides and mothers and mother-in-laws to please. You really only have to please the Senior and sometimes the mother. You can take your time and have a conversation with your client, it's a much more relaxed atmosphere. Not to mention the amount of time I have tied up in a wedding is 10 times more than I have tied up in a Senior. An average wedding will take about 16 hours and the average Senior takes about 3-4 hours. OK, so i exaggerated a bit its more like 4 times the work. My least favorite type of portrait photography is family and children portrait work. Maybe this is because I haven't really had much opportunity to do this type of photography. I may learn that I like it if I do it more, but I doubt it. I have posted a few of my different images for you to see, I hope you enjoy looking at them.


Photoman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photography Tips

Earthbound Light - Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond by Bob Johnson

My favorite photographers in no special order.

  • Walker Evans
  • Todd Kuhns
  • Earl Pitman
  • Elliott Erwitt
  • Evelyn Cameron
  • Ansel Adams

My Favorite Authors in no specific order

  • Terry Goodkind
  • Corrie tenBoom
  • Christopher Paolini
  • Marcus Mullins
  • Frank Peretti
  • J.R.R. Tolkein
  • C.S. Lewis

My favorite books in no specific order

  • The Prayer of Jabez
  • Soda Pop
  • Peter's Wagon
  • Look, Theres a mouse in our house
  • Pippa Mouses House
  • The Hiding Place
  • The Inheretance Series (Eragon, Eldest, ?)
  • the Bible
  • Photographing Montana
  • The Chronicles of Narnia series
  • The Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • The Hobbit

Gary's Book Wish List

  • Silence and Solitude by Tom Murphy

What color of socks are more comfortable?

Welcome to Gary's Photo Blog

This is just a little hobby I have started. It is my goal to make a new post each day. Please feel free to sign up as a follower of this blog just below this message. Please check back often to see what I have added.

Thanks for visiting,

Gary - A.K.A. - Photoman

Friends of this blog

Abstract Art

Abstract Art
Clam bake

Muscle Car Madness

Muscle Car Madness
Majenta Fire