Saturday, November 22, 2008

Music to my ears.





My daughter had a birthday this past June, when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday she quickly made me a list. One of the first things that she wrote down was to be able to play in Mrs. Whitmore's Orchestra (the Cedarville Youth Orchestra). I was happy to see that she was expressing an interest in playing in an orchestra. She had been a part of the Springfield Strings Youth Chamber Orchestra and didn't rally care for it. I was a little apprehensive at first because I thought that she may start and then lose interest and want to drop out. Well, to make a long story short I signed her up and she got notice on her birthday that she was



going to be a part of the the Cedarville Youth Orchestra, which is a part of the Greene County Fine Arts Association. Even before her first practice we found out that the Jr. High drama department at her school needed girls for their play and that they were dipping into the 6th grade for some extra help. She was so excited she forgot about the Orchestra and tried out for the play and wouldn't you know it she got a part. It was a small part with only two lines but it was a part none the less. She had to leave school and go straight to Orchestra practice, pack up early and head straight to play practice. Her play practice and homework took most of her time and left little time for violin practice. I am proud of her though, she never gave up. Even when she found out 4 days from the day of her first concert that she was 3 songs behind the rest of the group she never gave up. The play ended just before her concert and she spent a large part of her time practicing her music right up until the day of the concert. On the day of the concert she spent most of her day playing her music and preparing for the concert. I will have to say that I was pleased at the result, tonight's concert was truly music to my ears. The orchestra sounded like they have been playing together for years. I know that they have not, the Greene County Fine Arts Assoc. has only been in existence



for 2 years and some of the musicians just joined the group this year. From the sound of the orchestra you wouldn't know it. I was truly and wonderfully impressed. As I mentioned earlier, my daughter had been a part of the Springfield Strings Youth Chamber Orchestra prior to being a part of the Cedarville Youth Orchestra, I never heard the quality of music from the Springfield Strings Youth Chamber Orchestra that I heard from the Cedarville Youth Orchestra tonight. If you are interested in hearing them, they will be playing on Sat. Dec. 6th at the Cedarville United Presbyterian Church as a part of the Little Town of Lights. They will also be playing on March 21st at the Cedarville Opera House and once again at the Cedarville Presbyterian Church in April (the exact date is yet to be announced). I would like to formally invite all who read this, I think you will be pleasantly surprised if you attend a concert. I know the Cedarville Youth Orchestra will welcome you. I would also like to thank the Generous Donors and the Board of Directors for the Greene County Fine Arts Association for their time and financial support without it the Cedarville Youth Orchestra would not be possible. If you are interested in becoming a part of the Cedarville Youth Orchestra or becoming a donor to support the Orchestra and Greene County Fine Arts Association, the address is Greene County Fine Arts Assoc., P.O. Box 584, Cedarville, OH 45314. All gifts are tax deductible and would be greatly appreciated.

 


Photoman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photography Tips

Earthbound Light - Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond by Bob Johnson

My favorite photographers in no special order.

  • Walker Evans
  • Todd Kuhns
  • Earl Pitman
  • Elliott Erwitt
  • Evelyn Cameron
  • Ansel Adams

My Favorite Authors in no specific order

  • Terry Goodkind
  • Corrie tenBoom
  • Christopher Paolini
  • Marcus Mullins
  • Frank Peretti
  • J.R.R. Tolkein
  • C.S. Lewis

My favorite books in no specific order

  • The Prayer of Jabez
  • Soda Pop
  • Peter's Wagon
  • Look, Theres a mouse in our house
  • Pippa Mouses House
  • The Hiding Place
  • The Inheretance Series (Eragon, Eldest, ?)
  • the Bible
  • Photographing Montana
  • The Chronicles of Narnia series
  • The Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • The Hobbit

Gary's Book Wish List

  • Silence and Solitude by Tom Murphy

What color of socks are more comfortable?

Welcome to Gary's Photo Blog

This is just a little hobby I have started. It is my goal to make a new post each day. Please feel free to sign up as a follower of this blog just below this message. Please check back often to see what I have added.

Thanks for visiting,

Gary - A.K.A. - Photoman

Friends of this blog

Abstract Art

Abstract Art
Clam bake

Muscle Car Madness

Muscle Car Madness
Majenta Fire