Sunday, November 30, 2008

Angels we have heard on high

I am kind of in the Christmas mode as we have been getting all our Christmas decorations set about the house. I noticed an ornament on our Christmas tree that I thought would make a nice photograph. It wasn't until after I had taken the pictures and was looking at them on my computer that I noticed that something was not quite right. I will not tell you what it is that is wrong I'll just post the image in the blog and see if you can figure it out. Anyway I chose today's topic from the ornament in question. The Angels we have heard on high is obviously a Christmas carol and since I gave you a history lesson yesterday on the Christmas tree I thought I would give you another one today on this carol. I was not able to find as much information on this carol as I was on the Christmas tree, but I was able to find out a little bit. It seems that the words of this carol are based on a traditional French carol called "Les Anges dans nos Campagne" which when translated means The Angels in our Countryside. The common English version was translated in 1862 by James Chadwick. It is most commonly sung to the hymn tune "Gloria" the most memorable part of the song is it's chorus which says "Gloria in Excelsis Deo" which is Latin for Glory to God in the Highest. "Gloria in Excelsis Deo" is itself the name of an older famous hymn. That is all I could find out about the history of this carol if I find anything more I will add it to the end of today's blog. So, if you not in the Christmas spirit yet, you better not keep reading my blog or you just might find yourself in the Christmas mood.

Photoman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photography Tips

Earthbound Light - Nature Photography from the Pacific Northwest and beyond by Bob Johnson

My favorite photographers in no special order.

  • Walker Evans
  • Todd Kuhns
  • Earl Pitman
  • Elliott Erwitt
  • Evelyn Cameron
  • Ansel Adams

My Favorite Authors in no specific order

  • Terry Goodkind
  • Corrie tenBoom
  • Christopher Paolini
  • Marcus Mullins
  • Frank Peretti
  • J.R.R. Tolkein
  • C.S. Lewis

My favorite books in no specific order

  • The Prayer of Jabez
  • Soda Pop
  • Peter's Wagon
  • Look, Theres a mouse in our house
  • Pippa Mouses House
  • The Hiding Place
  • The Inheretance Series (Eragon, Eldest, ?)
  • the Bible
  • Photographing Montana
  • The Chronicles of Narnia series
  • The Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • The Hobbit

Gary's Book Wish List

  • Silence and Solitude by Tom Murphy

What color of socks are more comfortable?

Welcome to Gary's Photo Blog

This is just a little hobby I have started. It is my goal to make a new post each day. Please feel free to sign up as a follower of this blog just below this message. Please check back often to see what I have added.

Thanks for visiting,

Gary - A.K.A. - Photoman

Friends of this blog

Abstract Art

Abstract Art
Clam bake

Muscle Car Madness

Muscle Car Madness
Majenta Fire